CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
The City of St. Augustine Poet Laureate serves as a herald for poets and their work. The Poet Laureate is dedicated to building a literary community through poetry and encouraging a love of poetry among people of all ages.
The mission of the Poet Laureate is to promote the influence of poetry and enrich the lives of citizens by sharing and encouraging the gift of poetry.
- Represent the City of St. Augustine and the art of poetry through outreach related to poetry
- Participate in at least three selected City-sponsored events, dedications, or memorials per year by selecting and presenting original or appropriate works
- Act as a resource for the City of St. Augustine’s poetry and literary activities
- Lead and participate in National Poetry Month events and activities
- Contribute to the creation of a poetic identity for the City of St. Augustine
- The Poet Laureate will be available to serve a two-year term
- The individual will be 18 years or older, a current City of St. Augustine resident, or have connections to the City through, family or community involvement
- The individual has demonstrated a commitment to and passion for poetry
- The individual must be comfortable with public recitation
- Poet Laureates may serve more than one term at the discretion of the City of St. Augustine City Commission
- The City Commission may provide for small cultural or community grants available to reimburse out-of-pocket costs incurred by the Poet Laureate
- Press coverage related to performances and special projects
The term of service is two years.
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- List of publications, if any.
- Samples of their poetry.
- Letters of support or recommendation, if any.
- Statement of interest and connection to St. Augustine