What are the sizes of the water tap and meter and what services are offered by domestic and fire services?

The City will not be responsible for proper sizing of utility services for specific buildings and/or uses. This should be determined by the architect, engineer, plumber or builder. Hydraulic calculations may be required to prove correct sizing of service. The Availability Request form should be used to inquire about relocation of existing services or upgrade of a smaller water service to a larger one.

Water Tap & Meter Sizes

  • 1 inch tap with 3/4 inch water meter (typical single-family residential service)
  • 1 inch tap with 1 inch water meter
  • 2 inch tap with 2 inch water meter (typical commercial service)
  • 4 inch tap with 3 inch water meter
  • 4 inch tap with 4 inch water meter
  • 6 inch tap with 6 inch water meter
  • 8 inch tap with 8 inch water meter
  • 10 inch tap with 10 inch water meter

3 Inch Taps

3 inch taps on City water mains are prohibited. However, 3 inch water meters are allowed. - Customer may install a 4 inch tap, then reduce down to a 3 inch meter. No half-size or odd-size water meters or taps are permitted. All 2 inch and larger water services require an above-ground backflow device regardless of use.

Fire Sprinkler Service

Fire protection water services may not be shared with any other type of service line - domestic, landscape irrigation, etc. Services are required to be separate, dedicated taps from the City water main, in accordance with City Code section 26-34(a). 

Fire Sprinkler Size

Minimum size for fire sprinkler service is a 2 inch tap and service line with a 2 1/2 inch backflow device with bypass meter. The City's "point-of-service" will be the valve installed at the right-of-way line before the backflow device. Customer's contractor is responsible for all pipe and fittings to connect and install the 2 1/2 inch backflow. Note, a 2 1/2 inch backflow is the smallest device available with a bypass meter. This eliminates the significant cost and space requirements for a large in-ground meter. 

Sanitary Sewer Service

  • Typical gravity sewer tap is 6 inches.
  • Typical pressurized sewer service tap is 2 inches.
  • For Commercial pressurized sewer connections, professional engineering plans and calculations along with permitting through the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) will be required.

Show All Answers

1. How can I get construction water from a hydrant meter?
2. What are the sizes of the water tap and meter and what services are offered by domestic and fire services?
3. Are double or combined services allowed?
4. Are "Master Meters" allowed? Or, a single meter for more than one building or unit?
5. How do I request a Fire Hydrant Flow Test?
6. Is the city responsible for water/sewer service installation?
7. Can development of property not adjacent to existing City water / sewer lines be built?
8. Where can City utilities be installed?