Residential Composting Pilot Program
Residents are encouraged to contribute food and yard waste into a backyard compost bin to create a nutrient-rich compost that can be used in their garden or donated to a community garden. As part of this pilot program, single family homes within City limits are invited to apply for a compost bin, delivered to their home free of charge. Collection service is not offered as part of this program.
1. Check eligibility
To apply for a free compost bin:
- Location must be a single family residential home (no apartments or condos)
- Home most be located within city limits. Check here .
2. Complete the online application
Click here to complete the online application form.
Residents will have the choice of a stationary composting unit that sits directly on the ground, or a dual chamber tumbler unit on a stand.
3. Application review & selection
City staff will review your application to verify all requirements have been met. Applications will be held until the application window closes to allow the city to purchase the composters in bulk.
4. Compost bin delivery
City staff will assemble the bin and and deliver to your home.
5. Additional program information
- The composting bin is being paid for by the City and, although it will be delivered to you for your exclusive use at your residence, the bin itself remains City property. You are responsible for maintaining the bin in substantially the same condition as it is in when it is delivered to you.
- If you should decide to stop composting and wish to return the bin to the City, or if you move outside of City limits, you must notify the City so that pick-up of the bin may be arranged. The bin must be empty before it will be picked up.
- The City shall not be responsible for or incur any liability for any claims or demands arising out of or alleged to be arising out of or in connection with your use of the bin.