Bridge of Lions
St. Augustine's bascule Bridge of Lions is located 777.9 miles south of Norfolk, VA, and 60.9 miles south of Fernandina Beach, FL. As a transient vessel, you must notify the bridge that you request an opening; the Bridge of Lions monitors VHF Channel 9.
Hours of Operation
- The bridge opens for boat traffic, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m, on the hour and half-hour; with no openings at 8 a.m, 12 noon and 5 p.m.
- On Saturday, Sunday and Federal holidays, the bridge opens 7 a.m. to 6 p.m, on the hour and half-hour, including 8 a.m, 12 noon, and 5 p.m, if requested.
- The Bridge of Lions will open upon request, Monday through Sunday, 6 p.m. to 7 a.m, without exception to the hour and half hour.
The Code of Federal Regulations
The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 33 section 117 (CFR 33-117.261 a and d) reads as follows:
- (a) General. Public vessels of the United States, tugs with tows, and vessels in a situation where a delay would endanger life or property shall, upon proper signal, be passed through the draw of each bridge listed in this section at any time.
- (d) Bridge of Lions (SR A1A) bridge, mile 777.9 at St. Augustine. The draw shall open on signal; except that, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. the draw need open only on the hour and half-hour; however, the draw need not open at 8 a.m,12 noon, and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday except Federal holidays. From 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and Federal holidays the draw need only open on the hour and half-hour.