What homes need historic preservation review before elevation, demolition, or reconstruction?
  1. All buildings in Historic Preservation Zoning Districts 1-5


Structures requiring demolition within the city limits 48 years of age or older 

  • Quotes from Contractors should include a cost for Environmental Historic Property (EHP) approval in their quote. 
  • Contractors will need to have an EHP approval letter for properties within historic zoning districts before they begin demolition, elevation, or construction.
  • If you plan for demolition/reconstruction in Historic Preservation (HP) Zoning Districts 1-5 or for buildings 48 years or older, an EHP approval letter and a Certificate of Demolition will be required and a Certificate of Appropriateness for new construction in HP zones. A minimum of 45 days should be allotted to obtain these approvals and documents.
  • Historic Preservation related applications need to be submitted at least 1 month prior to the meeting date for Historic Architectural Review Board (HARB) or other review.  Approval is needed before demolition or building permits can be applied for.  
  • (Please see https://www.citystaug.com/195/Historic-Architectural-Review-Board-Appl for more information on how to submit an application for historic preservation related review.)
  • If you plan to have a structure lifted or demolished in an archaeology zone, archaeological review is required. Visit https://www.citystaug.com/169/Archaeology-Review-Process for more information on archaeological review.

Contact the Historic Preservation Division by emailing harb@citystaug.com for more information regarding historic property requirements or call:

  • Julie Courtney, Historic Preservation Officer
    • Phone: 904-209-4283
  • Candice Seymour, Historic Preservation Planner
    • Phone: 904-209-4326 

Show All Answers

1. Who do I have to have insurance through?
2. How high do I need to elevate my structure?
3. Are contractor quotes only elevate the house, or should they also cover other construction tasks?
4. I had NFIP insurance but then switched to a private carrier, does the program care if I switched to a private carrier?
5. Explain the flood insurance 2.0
6. How long do you have to switch to NFIP insurance?
7. Will I be obligated to follow through with the grant once I submit my homeowner packet and other documents?
8. Is this mitigation grant specifically for raising the property?
9. Would the city or council have documentation like the EC (elevation certificate) of the property?
10. Where can I find the FMA Program Homeowner Presentation?
11. What historic zones need approval by historic preservation before elevation?
12. If we want to be in the grant program, must we have flood insurance?
13. To apply what do I need to send in?
14. Requirements for mitigation reconstruction
15. To whom can I communicate documentation towards my application?
16. What homes need historic preservation review before elevation, demolition, or reconstruction?
17. Should I get the grant money to elevate my home, then does the government have a lien on my home?