What are the payment options for utility connection charges?

View the following payment options:

  • Mail a check to the Public Works Department.
  • Pay in person by check, cash or credit card (Visa or MasterCard), at the Public Works Department:
    75 King Street
    Lobby B, 4th Floor
    St. Augustine, FL 32084
  • Make partial payments by financing through the “Deferred Payment of Utility Connection Charges” program; typically available for properties with existing structures or businesses, not for vacant land; decided on a case-by-case basis. This program is the best assistance the City has for helping customers with connection charges.

Finance Agreement Information

View the process for the Financial Agreement:

  • First, an Availability Statement for the subject property is required.
  • Owner provides a copy of recorded Warranty Deed or recorded Quit Claim Deed (all property owners must sign Finance Agreement.)
  • City prepares all paperwork.
  • For residential, a non-refundable $100 filing fee is added to the total financed amount. For commercial, a non-refundable $100 filing fee is paid up front.
  • For residential, an optional down payment can be made in any amount. For commercial, a minimum of 25% of the total connection charges or minimum $1,000 must be paid as a down payment.
  • For residential, the balance is financed over a period of your choice, up to ten years; minimum monthly payment is $25. For commercial, the balance is financed over a period of your choice, up to five years; minimum monthly payment is $90; maximum balance that can be financed is $125,000.
  • Finance rate is minimal, based on the previous month's Five-Year U.S. Treasury rate plus 3%. Customer is billed monthly through the City’s utility billing.
  • Interest rate is fixed over the life of the debt, and there is no penalty for early payment.
  • Deferred connection charges become a lien against the property until paid in full. In the event of payment delinquency, the City may disconnect utility services and may require all remaining amount owed under the payment plan to be paid before reconnecting services.
  • Commercial accounts may be eligible for a discounted finance rate based on specific criteria involving the Historic Architectural Review Board (HARB) approval of the project.


Contact the City Finance Department at 904-825-1030 for all questions regarding finance options.

Show All Answers

1. How can I get information about utility service?
2. What are utility flow-based fees for typical uses?
3. What are the payment options for utility connection charges?
4. How long will it take to provide water/sewer service to a residence?
5. When should I pay utility connection charges?
6. When will the city install new utility services to a residence?
7. Where will the new water/sewer services be located for my residence?
8. How do I unlock my water meter, set up, activate or change a city utility account?
9. Why are utility connection fees charged?
10. What do I need to do if I have a change-of-use, increase in use or additional use at my property?
11. If my water/sewer is already connected, why do I need an availability request form?
12. Are utility connection charges transferable or refundable?
13. Do utility connection charges expire?
14. What needs to happen if a building connected to city water and sewer is being demolished?
15. The property is outside city limits; why should I contact the City for utility service?
16. Is city water/sewer connection mandatory?
17. What is the difference between gravity sewer versus pressurized (forcemain) sewer?
18. How do I get installation and connection of private building service line to water/sewer service?
19. What are the requirements for existing well and septic tank after connection to city water/sewer?
20. What is the responsibility for maintenance and repair of service connections?
21. What is the landscape irrigation water meter?
22. What are the backflow prevention requirements?
23. Is the city responsible for water/sewer service installation?