- Planning & Building
- Procedures for New Businesses
Procedures for New Businesses
Annual Local Business Tax
The City of Saint Augustine is one of the cities in Florida which elected to collect Local Business Taxes (formerly known as Occupational Licenses) when the state turned it over to local government level. Payment of the Local Business Tax allows you the right to do business in the City of St. Augustine and is paid annually with the fiscal year beginning October 1 through September 30. Fill out the Local Business Tax Receipt Application (PDF) to get started.
To apply for a local business tax receipt please email your complete application along with a copy of your driver's license and sunbiz.org information to email@example.com.
Register your business contact information with the Police Department here Version OptionsProcedures for New BusinessesHeadline Version OptionsProcedures for New BusinessesHeadline. You will need to provide the email confirmation with your business tax receipt application.
Business license renewals can be paid online here Version OptionsProcedures for New BusinessesHeadline. Please call 904-825-1034 regarding portal or renewal questions.
How to Apply for a Local Business Tax Receipt
- Determine the business location
- You will need zoning approval for your business location. If it is in the City of St. Augustine, call City Zoning at 904-825-1065. If it is located in St. Johns County limits or St. Augustine Beach City limits contact the appropriate office needed, according to the business location, for zoning approval and Local Business Tax Receipt.
- Call St. Johns County at 904-209-0675
- Call St. Augustine Beach at 904-471-8758
- When a Business Tax Receipt has been obtained from any other municipality, it is then brought to the Tax Collector’s Office to obtain the County Local Business Tax Receipt.
- Please note: A state-licensed professional will need to provide a copy of their current State of Florida license prior to a City Local Business Tax Receipt issuance. Some professional offices will require two receipts. i.e.,
- Attorney's Office
- Beauty Salon/Cosmetologist
- Physician's Office
If You Have an Existing Business
- Changes/Transfer of Location, Ownership or Business Name: Please contact our office for information on changing/transferring your business location, ownership or business name.
- Going out of Business: If your business closes or relocates to another City or County, it is your responsibility to contact our office to close your business record.